Saturday, April 26, 2008

NFL Draft Day One


1. Devin Thomas, WR. I am SO glad that the Redskins traded out of their spot at #21. I was really hoping that they would draft Aqib Talib but unfortunately, he was picked one spot (#20) earlier by the Buccaneers. It's also too bad that the Skins couldn't draft DE Phillip Merling when they got around to picking at #34.

However, I'm not happy with the pick of a receiver. The Redskins just don't have a good history of drafting WRs with their top choice since Hall of Famer Art Monk. Desmond Howard. Michael Westbrook. Rod Gardner. On the plus side, Devin Thomas was rated the top receiver in the draft. How he'll fit with Zorn's offense will be very interesting.

2. Fred Davis, TE. At first, I was extremely upset with this pick. Seemed like such a waste with Chris Cooley at the position. However, as I started to think about all the potential mismatches during 2 TE sets, it occurred to me that a second Chris Cooley would be a more effective contributor than a big WR. While I was hoping that the team would address defensive needs, I'm fairly satisfied with the pick of the USC tight end.

3. Malcolm Kelly, WR. Ah, the player that I really hoped that Cerrato and folks would not draft at #21. It's great that he didn't cost them a first round pick. But they already added two weapons on offense and return their top two receivers so I still dislike this decision. Is it really likely that the Skins will have two rookies contribute immediately in Zorn's newly installed offense? I'd be very surprised if that was the case. It's more likely that one of the rookies doesn't catch more than 20 passes for 300 yards.

In review, these draft picks put Randle El (728 yards last season) on the trading block. He would be a great fit in St. Louis where Isaac Bruce is gone, Torry Holt isn't happy, and former coordinator Al Saunders is calling the plays. The Rams will probably wait to see if he gets released.

No comments: